Independent Examination of the DMD
**PLEASE NOTE**The Exmination has closed, and the DMD was adopted by the National Park Authority on the 5 July 2013. This page is no longer being update, with the adopted plan available at www.dartmoor.gov.uk/dmd
On the 10 June 2013 the National Park Authority received the Inspector's Report on the Examination into the Development Management and Delivery DPD (PDF Help 408kb). This report concludes that the Development Management and Delivery DPD provides an appropriate basis for the planning of the National Park over the next 13 years providing a number of modifications are made to the Plan. As requested, the Inspector recommended any modifications necessary to enable the Authority to adopt the Plan. Most of the modifications to address this were proposed by the National Park Authority (further consultation on these modifications was carried out, as described below).
The Examination Process
Consultation on the submission version of the DMD closed on Wednesday 11 April 2012. A copy of the representations received and the Authority's Response (PDF Help 679kb) is available to view.
The DMD was submitted to the Secretary of State on Monday 14 May 2012. The Inspector appointed to undertake the examination was Mr Andrew Seaman BA (Hons), MA, MRTPI. The examination process is concerned with the legal compliance and soundness of the document as a whole and the examination will focus on the main issues of concern, not individual representations. You can find more information on the examination of local plans on the Planning Portal (external link, opens in new window) or by reading A Brief Guide to Examining DPD's (PDF Help 77kb) (External website, opens new window)
Revocation of the South West Regional Strategy
The Secretary of State has announced the Government's decision to revoke the Regional Spatial Strategy for the South West and an Order will come into effect on the 20th May 2013. The Inspector advised that an opportunity be offered for comment on any implications arising from the revocation. This consultation period closed on Monday 13th May 2013, the consultation responses received are set out below.
Publication of the Inspector's Main Modifications
The Inspector prepared a schedule of proposed main modifications to the submitted Plan and advised that these modifications should be made available for public comment before his report is finalised. These are modifications which have to be made to the DMD to ensure that it becomes a legally compliant and sound document, and will have to be applied to the submitted version of the DMD if the Authority wishes to formally adopt the plan.
The six week consultation on the main modifications closed on the 12 April 2012, the responses to the consultation are available to view below.
Inspector's Proposed Main Modifications (PDF Help 208kb) (Erratum - Reference DNPA ref. 52 'Amend policy DMD11', page 6: Please note that the plain text in subsections (ii), (iii) and (iv) should be shown underlined, indicating that they are additions of text.)
Post hearings correspondence with the Inspector
DNPA letter to Inspector (24 January 2013) (PDF Help 204kb)
Inspector's Letter (21 January 2013) (PDF Help 172kb)
Letter from DNPA to the Inspector (8 January 2013) (PDF Help 171kb)
Letter to DNPA from the Environment Agency (8 January 2013) CD11/18 (PDF Help 46kb)
Paper covering the sequential & exception tests for proposal MTN2 CD11/15 (PDF Help 2.30Mb)
Paper covering the sequential & exception tests for proposal ASH2 CD11/16 (PDF Help 1.36Mb)
Paper covering the sequential & exception tests for proposal BCK3 CD11/17 (PDF Help 1.34Mb)Inspector's Procedural Letter (24 December 2012) (PDF Help 119kb)
Hearings have now closed. The public hearings were held on Tuesday 4, Wednesday 5, Wednesday 12 and Thursday 13 December 2012. A draft Hearing Programme ( PDF Help 92kb) was been published along with draft matters and issues which the Inspector considered during the Hearings;
- Matter 1 and Matter 3 - Tuesday 4 December 2012 (AM) - Plan Preparation and Legal Compliance and Part 2 of the Plan - Social, Health and Well Being (Housing) (PDF Help 88kb)
- Matter 2 - Wednesday 5 December 2012 - Part 2 of the Plan - Justification, Consistency and Effectiveness (PDF Help 80kb)
- Matter 4 - Wednesday 12 - December 2012 Settlement Policies (PDF Help 57kb)
- Matter 5 - Thursday 13 December 2012 - Delivery and Monitoring (PDF Help 48kb)
Hearings - Additional Written Correspondence
Respondents were permitted to amplify their original representations and or respond to the Schedule of Matters and Issues. The closing date for further submissions was 20 November 2012 and can be viewed below.
|Respondent Number||Respondent Name||Hearing Session||Statement|
|04/01/SBR1/FWS||WYG Planning||Supplements written representations||Statement (PDF Help 80kb)|
|008/01/MTN2/FWS||Wollen Michelmore Solicitors (on behalf of B Thompson and Sons (Transport) Limited)||Wednesday 12 December. Hearing 3, Matter 4|
|13/01/3.6/3/FWS||WYG Planning||Wednesday 12 December. Hearing 3, Matter 4||Statement (PDF Help 212kb) |
Site Location Plan (PDF Help 640kb)
|24/05/DMD21/FWS||PCL Planning||Supplements written representations||Statement (PDF Help 208kb)|
|151/01/YEL/FWS||Miss A Steers|| |
Tuesday 4 December Hearing 1, Matter 3.Wednesday 12 December Hearing 3, Matter 4
|Statement (PDF Help 108kb)|
|Moretonhampstead Parish Council||Wednesday 12 December Hearing 3, Matter 4||Letter to Moretonhampstead Parish Council (PDF Help 16kb)|
|Environment Agency||Wednesday 12 December Hearing 3, Matter 4||Letter to the Authority (PDF Help 88kb)|
|NPS Group||Wednesday 12 December Hearing 3, Matter 4||Letter to the Authority (PDF Help 34kb)|
Hearings - Additional Submissions by DNPA
Wednesday 12 December 2012 Statement of Common Ground between DNPA and CSJ Planning Hearing 3, Matter 4, Issue 6. Proposed minor modification (Ref 020) - allocation of BCK3: Redevelopment at Devonia Products Mill (PDF Help 32 kb).
Following consideration of the historic environment policies in chapter 2.10 (policies DMD8 – DMD12) at Hearing 2 (Wednesday 5 December), minor amendments (PDF Help 200kb) are proposed to improve the clarity and focus of those policies.
Hearings - Additional information presented to the Authority by CSJ Planning in respect of BCK3 (Devonia Products)
Letter from CSJ Planning (20 November 2012) (PDF Help 148kb)
Draft Histroic Buildings Appraisal (November 2012) (PDF Help 1.62MB)
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (October 2012) (PDF Help 4.2MB)
Constraints and Opportunities Maps: Geotechnical (PDF Help 76kb), Flood Risk (PDF Help 72kb), Ecology (PDF Help 84kb), Climate (PDF Help 84kb), Building Use and Heritage Assets (PDF Help 84kb), Access (PDF Help 96kb).
Pre-Hearing Meeting - October 2012
The Pre-Hearing Meeting was held on 25 October 2012 at the Authority's offices at Parke. The Inspector outlined how the public hearings, commencing on 4 December 2012 were to be conducted and the procedures to be followed.
- Notes from the Pre Hearing Meeting 25 October 2012 (PDF Help 163kb)
- Invite to the Pre-Hearing Meeting dated 20 September 2011 (PDF Help 148kb)
- Pre-Hearing Meeting Agenda (PDF Help 74kb)
- Pre-Hearing Meeting Guidance Notes (PDF Help 151kb)
- Authority's letter to the Inspector 8 November 2012 (PDF Help 45kb)
- Authority's letter to the Inspector 1 November 2012 (PDF Help 624kb)
- Inspectors response to Authority's letter 5 November 2012 (PDF Help 116kb)
Additional supporting information - September 2012
Further to the Procedural Meeting the Authority published additional information in support of the DMD. This was added to the list of Core Document (supporting evidence), but is listed separately below for convenience.
- Authority's letter (5 September 2012) (PDF Help 173kb)
- Assessment of consistency with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) (PDF Help 316kb)
- Environmental Report Stage B Section 6: Additional Data (PDF Help 1mb)
- CD8/1 Environmental Report August 2012 Version 3 (PDF Help 10mb) (please note - large file - requires fast connection - alternatively the document is split into parts below)
- Habitat Regulations Assessment (Appropriate Assessment) Screening Report (V6) (PDF Help 3.3mb)
- Habitat Regulations Assessment (Appropriate Assessment) Detailed Assessment of
the LDF Development Management and Delivery DPD August 2012 (V3) (PDF Help 1mb)
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan August 2012 (V2) (PDF Help 386kb)
- Development Plan Monitoring Framework August 2012 (V1) (PDF Help 411kb)
- Schedule of Minor Modifications (V8) (PDF Help 626kb)
Procedural Meeting - July 2012
A procedural meeting was held in public on 12 July 2012 in order to consider matters raised by the Inspector in respect of the soundness of the Plan. The meeting concluded that the Authority will produce a range of supplementary evidence in support of the submitted DPD.
- Inspector's procedural letter (17 July 2012) (PDF Help 51kb)
- Procedure Meeting Note (PDF Help 136kb)
- Procedural Meeting Invitation Letter (PDF Help 72kb)
- Procedural Meeting Agenda (PDF Help 28kb)
- Annex 1 (PDF Help 60kb)
- Authority's response in advance of Procedural Meeting (PDF Help 163kb) including additional documentation:
Correspondence with the Inspector May - June 2012
- Inspector's Procedural letter (15 June 2012) (PDF Help 208kb)
- Authority's response to procedural letter (28 May 2012) (PDF Help 156kb)
Paper: SA/SEA, HRA and procedural matters (PDF Help 312kb)
- Authority's response (1 June 2012) (PDF Help 158kb)
Topic Paper: Duty to Cooperate (June 2012) (PDF Help 140kb)
- Inspector's Procedural Letter (28 May 2012) (PDF Help 146kb)
- Authority's response to the procedural letter (23 May 2012) (PDF Help 188kb)
- Authority's response regarding sites at Yelverton and Buckfastleigh (16 May 2012) (PDF Help 171kb)
- Inspector's Procedural letter (16 May 2012) (PDF Help 126kb)
For information on the independent examination of the development plan document, please contact Forward Planning, Dartmoor National Park Authority, Parke, Bovey Tracey, Devon TQ13 9JQ, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01626 832093.